First "Award of Excellence" Granted
In December of 1950, Mrs. A. C. U. Berry of Portland, donated to the Test Garden several plants of the species R. degronianum. Among these plants appeared one which proved more dwarf and compact than the others. Its foliage far superior and its flowers of a much deeper color made it quite outstanding. Mrs. Berry has subscribed to many plant expeditions and doesn't remember from which one the seeds were obtained.
Four members of the Awards Committee, Howard Slonecker, George Grace, G. T. Hansen and Robert M. Bovee, viewed this plant in the Rockery of the Test Garden early in April and all agreed that it should receive an A. E. (Award of Excellence). This is the first plant in the Test Garden to be so honored.