Research Grant Awards - 1991
The Research Foundation of the American Rhododendron Society has funded five research projects recommended by the ARS Research Committee. These projects were selected from those proposals submitted to the committee that were considered most relevant to the purposes of the society. The projects selected are listed below:
1. Evaluation of Horticultural Oils and Other Products for Azalea Lace Bug Management - Dr. S. Kristine Braman, University of Georgia.
2. The Cause and Nature of Variation in Tissue cultured Rhododendron - Dr. Mark Brand, University of Connecticut.
3. Minimum Calcium Requirement for Container Grown Rhododendron - Dr. David R. Hershey, University of Maryland.
4. DNA Finger Printing of Rhododendron - Drs. Donald W. Paden and A. Lane Rayburn, University of Illinois.
5. A Database of Rhododendron and Azalea Research with Related Scholarly Data - Mr. Homer Salley of Grand Rapids, Ohio.
Members of the Research Committee are: Warren Berg, Bruce Briggs, Richard Brooks, Russell Gilkey, August Kehr, Sandra McDonald, Gustav Mehlquist, Donald Paden, George Ring, June Sinclair, Robert Ticknor, Ted Van Veen, and Mark Widrlechner (chair).