Journal of Career and Technical Education
The Journal of Career and Technical Education (JCTE) is a non-profit, refereed, national publication of Omicron Tau Theta, the national, graduate honorary society of career and technical education. Manuscripts submitted for consideration by JCTE should focus on career and technical education philosophy, theory, or practice. Comprehensive reviews of literature and reports of research and methodology will be considered. All articles should relate to current issues and have direct implications for career and technical educators. It is intended that JCTE serve as a forum for discussion of philosophy, theory, practice, and issues in career and technical education. Manuscripts submitted for review should not have been published or be under current consideration for publication by other journals.
The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA), 5th Edition (2001), is the standard of style for JCTE. Place figures and tables in the appropriate place in the manuscript. Underlining should not be used anywhere in the manuscript. Statistics and titles in the reference list should be italicized according to APA 5th Edition Style. Manuscripts not adhering to the style manual will be returned to the authors without review.
Figures and Tables
Tables and figures should provide only information essential to understanding the article. Authors should avoid reporting the same information in both text and tables. In the preparation of tables and figures, authors should use APA guidelines for format and include the tables and figures in text where they should appear. Tables and figures are to be prepared as a part of the word processing file. Tables must be developed in columns using the table-formatting feature in the word processor so that they will translate to HTML. Each item in a table should be placed in an individual cell. Do not use tabs to format tables because they will not translate properly. Tables and figures will not be published on oversized or foldout sheets.
Manuscripts accepted for publication normally may not exceed 20 pages of printed, double spaced text, including title page, abstract page, tables, figures, and references. Margins should be 1" all around and use Times New Roman 12-point for all text, tables, and figures. Use the line numbering feature of the word processor to number each line of the manuscript.
Electronic submissions are preferred, although mailed copies will be accepted.
Submit the following:
- a separate title page with the manuscript title, author(s), institution(s), complete address(es), telephone number(s), and the author(s)' e-mail address(es); and
- one double-spaced copy of the manuscript with the abstract placed immediately after the manuscript title and the lines numbered; author(s) must ensure that all references to the author(s) and their institutions are removed from the manuscript according to APA guidelines to facilitate the double-blind peer review process; the abstract should succinctly describe the manuscript's contents and cannot exceed 960 characters and spaces (150 words).
The manuscript and title page can be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or it can be mailed on a 3.5" diskette or CD to Dr. James Bartlett at the address on page 2. Diskettes become the property of JCTE and will not be returned. The electronic files must be in Microsoft Word format. The use of Rich Text Format (rtf) is acceptable.
Review and Publication
JCTE is published twice a year, spring (about June 1st for the hard copy) and fall (about December 1st for the hard copy). All accepted articles will be published in both traditional hard copy and in the electronic journal, which is currently available at the following case sensitive URL:
The review process for the Journal of Career and Technical Education normally requires six weeks to three months. The Editor will notify you as each stage in the review process is completed. The decision of the reviewers will be one of the following:
- Accept (publish as submitted, very minor editorial revisions may be neededthis is very rare for initial submissions);
- Accept Conditionally, with minor revisions (revisions are reviewed by editor, not resubmitted to review panel);
- Accept Conditionally with Major Revisions (revised manuscript will be sent back to the same reviewers for reconsideration);
- Reject but Invite Major Revision and Resubmission (fundamental changes are needed, and the revised manuscript will go back to the same reviewers for reconsideration-this is a very common decision on the initial review and should not be considered as a final rejection); or
- Reject the manuscript for JCTE (the manuscript will not be considered again).
The manuscript review process for JCTE is a "double-blind" peer review in that the reviewers are not informed of the identity of the author(s) and the author(s) are not informed of the identities of the reviewers. The reviewers of the manuscript are recognized scholars with appropriate professional and educational preparation and are selected for their specific expertise relative to the topic of the manuscript being reviewed. At least one of four reviewers on each manuscript must be a member of the JCTE Editorial Board. The final acceptance rate for JCTE is usually 30-35%. Authors who persevere through requested revisions are generally the authors whose manuscripts are eventually published in selective, refereed journals such as JCTE.
Book Reviews/Thematic Issues
Book reviews will also be considered for publication in the JCTE. Persons interested in publication of a book review should contact the Editor-Elect (see inside front cover, page 2). A thematic issue of the JCTE may be published at least once every two years. Themes for upcoming issues will be announced in both the hard copy and electronic journal.