Volume 57, Number 4
Guidelines for Submissions to Virginia Libraries
- Virginia Libraries seeks to publish articles and reviews of interest to the library community in Virginia. Articles and interviews reporting research, library programs and events, information of particular interest to libraries in Virginia, and opinion pieces are all considered for publication. Queries are encouraged. Brief announcements and press releases should be distributed via the VLA listservs and blog (www.vla.org).
- Please submit manuscripts via email as attachments in Microsoft Word, rich text, or plain text format. Articles should be double-spaced with any bibliographic notes occurring at the end of the article. Please avoid using the automatic note creation function provided by some word processing programs.
- Work published in Virginia Libraries conforms to the latest edition of the Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Accepted pieces are subject to editing for style and clarity. Authors will be consulted on points of fact.
- Articles should generally fall within the range of 750–3,000 words. Please query the editors before submitting any work of greater length.
- Reviews should consider works produced by Virginia creators or concerning Virginia subjects that have been published within the last two years. The reviewed works can appeal to any age or audience or appear in any format or area of the arts, sciences, and humanities. Reviews generally fall within the range of 500–1,500 words and must include a bibliographic citation in Chicago style and an evaluative statement supported by evidence from the text. Please query the editors before writing or submitting a review.
- All work submitted for consideration will be reviewed by the editors and may be refereed by the editorial board. Material not selected for publication will be returned within three months.
- VLA holds the copyright on all material published in Virginia Libraries. Contributors receive one copy of the issue in which their work appears.
- Illustrations are encouraged and should be submitted whenever appropriate to accompany a manuscript. Hard-copy illustrations will be returned if requested in advance. Digital images should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi. Authors are responsible for securing legal permission to publish photographs and other illustrations.
- Each contributor should provide a brief sketch of professional accomplishments of no more than fifty words that includes current title, affiliation, and email address. Unless specified otherwise, this information will be shared with readers of Virginia Libraries. Physical addresses should also be provided for the mailing of contributors’ copies.
- Email manuscripts and queries to both Cy Dillon, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Lyn C. A. Gardner, email@example.com. Please be sure to include both editors.
- Virginia Libraries is published quarterly. The deadlines for submission are November 1 for Number 1, January/February/March; February 1 for Number 2, April/May/June; May 1 for Number 3, July/August/September; and August 1 for Number 4, October/November/December. VL