- 4 Mending our break with nature
- The Earth is broken-or at least wounded-most agree, and it's time to fix it. Whether it be with rescue squad-style resuscitation efforts, public education, or critical research, Virginia Tech faculty, programs, and interdisciplinary centers are responding.
- 12 Huckleberry Line
- With plenty of help from students and friends, the former railroad line to Virginia Tech is now reincarnating as a walking path.
- 14 What are Hokies gobbling?
- The cooks are chefs, and choices range from Mexican to Chinese to sinfully sumptuous chocolate at Virginia Tech's newest dining hall. Three alumni rate the eatery four-star.
- Orange and Maroon 2
- Around the Drillfield 3
- Sports 16
- Philanthropy 20
- Alumni Association 22
- Alumni Profile 23
- Research 24
- Class Notes 26
Director of University Relations Larry Hincker Associate Director for Publications David C. Lotts Editor Su Clauson Assistant Editor Richard Lovegrove Editorial Assistance by Kelly Garrett Ginny Gillikin Art Director Glen Duncan Designer Patricia Sterner Photography Editor Gary Colbert Business Manager Kathy Eschenmann Alumni Notes Jo Farmer Dale Alvarez
Virginia Tech Magazine (ISSN 0274-9904) is published four times a year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer) by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Second-class postage is paid at Blacksburg, VA 24060 and at additional offices.
Address changes and circulation inquiries: Alumni should send these to the Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. All others should send these to the Business Manager, Virginia Tech Magazine, 101-E Media Bldg., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Alumni notes: These should be sent to Alumni Notes, Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Editorial inquiries and comments: These should be sent to Editor, Virginia Tech Magazine, 102-C Media Bldg., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Postmaster: If undeliverable, please send form 3579 to the Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Do not return publication.
The Virginia Tech Magazine is produced by the Office of University Relations. Substantial support from the Virginia Tech Foundation underwrites production costs.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, handicap, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, or political affiliation. Anyone having questions should contact the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office.