- 4 In Honor of Horace Fralin
- Virginia Tech's new biotechnology center will be named for Horace Fralin--Virginia Tech Board of Visitors member, friend, and alumnus--who died in January.
- 6 Virginia Tech Underground
- Once a caver, always a caver. Virginia Tech Cave Club continues to lure students underground while maintaining a strong alumni membership.
- 10 Lessons in Caring
- As life expectancies lengthen, middle-aged individuals feel squeezed between the demands of dependent children and aging parents. Virginia Tech offers a solution--adult day care. The center is the nation's first to train students specifically for a career in this growing new field.
- 14 Wireless Whiz
- Presidential Faculty Fellow Ted Rappaport predicts that developmental research by Virginia Tech's wireless communications group could create a "Wireless Valley" of related industry in Southwest Virginia similar to California's Silicon Valley.
- 16 House + House = Success
- This free-spirited alumni architectural team set off for San Francisco with no jobs and no contacts; six years later they're designing mansions and sleek retail offices.
- Orange and Maroon 2
- Around the Drillfield 3
- Sports 20
- Research 22
- Alumni Association 24
- Philanthropy 25
- Class Notes 26Director of University Relations Larry Hincker Associate Director for Publications David C. Lotts Editor Su Clauson-Wicker Assistant Editor Netta Eisler Graphic Design Glen Duncan Patricia Sterner Chief Photographer Gary Colbert Assistance from the Virginia Tech Photo Lab Editorial Assistant Kate Greene '94 Stacey Pastor '93 Business Manager Kathy Eschenmann Alumni Notes Jo Farmer Dale Alvarez
Virginia Tech Magazine (ISSN 0274-9904) is published four times a year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer) by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Second-class postage is paid at Blacksburg, VA 24060 and at additional offices.
Address changes and circulation inquiries: Alumni should send these to the Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. All others should send these to the Business Manager, Virginia Tech Magazine, 101-E Media Bldg., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Alumni notes: These should be sent to Alumni Notes, Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Editorial inquiries and comments: These should be sent to Editor, Virginia Tech Magazine, 102-C Media Bldg., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Postmaster: If undeliverable, please send form 3579 to the Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Do not return publication.
The Virginia Tech Magazine is produced by the Office of University Relations. Substantial support from the Virginia Tech Foundation underwrites production costs.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, handicap, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, or political affiliation. Anyone having questions should contact the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office.