- 8 Who makes floats anymore?
- When you're working 15-30 hours a week and borrowing the price of a car every year, traditional college pastimes may seem frivolous. Here's how some of the more than 2,000 Tech students who don't have enough funds cope.
- 12 High tech teaching
- Computer technology is transforming how we teach and how students learn. The driving force is effectiveness.
- 14 Our fair ladies
- How far has the Tech woman come since that first coed class of 1925?
- 16 Gator Bowl
- On the field, it was ugly, but a loyal alumna took a different reading in the stands.
- 18 Alumnae Profiles: Women in Charge
- Jeanette Iroler Poole '64 takes Miami by storm Corporate 911: Pat Caldwell '71 doctors sick companies Advice for women entrepreneurs from Susan Bari '85
Cover: Keith Wilson '95 spent his vacations working in Southwest Virginia coal mines to earn tuition money. Photo by Rick Griffiths '78. Special thanks to Hiope Mining Company, McDowell County, W.Va.Director of University Relations Larry Hincker Associate Director for Publications David C. Lotts Editor Su Clauson-Wicker Assistant Editor Netta S. Eisler Art Director Glen Duncan Graphic Design Meg Nugent Laurie Zuckerman Photography Gary Colbert Rick Griffiths Bob Veltri Business Manager Alva Phillips Alumni Notes Jo Farmer Dale Alvarez
Virginia Tech Magazine (ISSN 0274-9904) is published four times a year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer) by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Second-class postage is paid at Blacksburg, VA 24060 and at additional offices. Address changes and circulation inquiries: Alumni should send these to the Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. All others should send these to the Business Manager, Virginia Tech Magazine, 101-E Media Bldg., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Alumni notes: These should be sent to Alumni Notes, Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Alumni Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Editorial inquiries and comments: These should be sent to Editor, Virginia Tech Magazine, 102-C Media Bldg., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, or email email@example.com. Postmaster: If undeliverable, please send form 3579 to the Virginia Tech Alumni Association, P.O. Box 500, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Do not return publication. The Virginia Tech Magazine is produced by the Office of University Relations. Support from the Virginia Tech Foundation underwrites some production costs.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, handicap, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, or political affiliation. Anyone having questions should contact the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office.