Components of HTML Markup
Here is a second example of HTML markup:
<A HREF="Virginia.gif">More about Virginia</A>
Tags can have elements, which are only allowed between them. For example, all HTML tags are elements of the <HTML> tag.
- <A is the anchor tag (tags are also referred to as elements).
- HREF is an attribute of the anchor tag
- ="Virginia" is a value being assigned to the attribute
- > closes the anchor tag
- The phrase More about Virginia is the tag's contents
- </A> is an end tag for the anchor tag.
Other tags lack content, attributes or end tags.