Networked Digital Library
of Theses and Dissertations
ETD Workshop @ Virginia Tech
Technical Issues Session
May 17, 1999
Eren Erdeners notes; Ed Fox session leader
What formats are being explored other than PDF?
- Laval: SGML, too difficult to learn. WordPerfect style sheet is used to map to SGML
- Convert the theses: RTF to XML, map to TIE [lite]
- 15 theses are available from University of Montreal
What do people use for search engines?
- West Virginia: Cold Fusion
- Va Tech: Digital Lib., OpenText, Site Search
Cataloging of theses and dissertations
- Call numbers: Union catalog for TDs (is it useful?): Fox is interested
- Search on metadata or document description:
- What is the description of document?
- [MARC] record
Document Object Identifier
- OCLC [PURL] system
- Translation of URN to URL: hdl://theses
- Generate unique identifiersstandardization?
The current situation of federated search
- Cornell systems, tech reports, local
Technical recommendation for a new site: hardware and software
- [see http://scholar.ib.vt.edu/theses/ facts, data, etc.]
Depositing TD electronically and how to transfer files to checkers?
Uploading exe files
Space allocation (or students: 13-20 MB (VaTech) (30-40 MB avg.)/person
Multimedia and standards
July 2, 1999 (GMc)