Affirmative Action Award nominations being sought
Spectrum Volume 18 Issue 09 - October 19, 1995
The university is requesting nominations for the University Affirmative Action Award.
The award is designed to recognize noteworthy efforts by individuals and departments of the university community (on and off campus) for the benefit of the university's equal opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity efforts. Criteria for selection will be based on effort, commitment to action, and the results of the action. The strength, creativity, and effectiveness of the efforts will be considered. Special importance will be attached to extraordinary efforts and actions relating to:
1. the recruitment and retention of minority or women students, faculty and staff members, and other participants in university programs;
2. the development of an environment that provides a supportive climate for minority or women students, faculty and staff members, and other participants in university programs;
3. the development and facilitation of programs to meet the special needs of minority or women students, faculty and staff members, and other participants in university programs; and
4. the assistance of disabled students, faculty and staff members, and other participants.
The award may be given in one of the following categories: individual, campus organization/group, or department/college/unit.
All members of the university are encouraged to submit nominations. Nominations may be submitted by students, student organizations, staff, faculty, and administrators (including Extension agents).
Past recipients of the award are ineligible for nomination.
Nominations may be submitted (on paper or electronically (CHINA@vtvm1) to the Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Office, 336 Burruss Hall, 0216.
Nominators are asked to supply the selection committee with the following information:
* name of individual, organization, department, or unit being nominated;
* description of the nominee's action and results of that action, serving as the basis of the nomination; and
* names of at least three additional individuals who will be able to support and document the nomination.
The deadline for nominations is Nov. 1, 1995.