Conditions of Use
Resources and materials available through the Digital Library and Archives (DLA) are available for use in research, teaching, and private study. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print or download) materials without prior permission, on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies. These resources and materials are not in the public domain and copyright is largely held by DLA.
Digital Libraries and Archives will fill image requests for our patrons who prefer TIFF files ranther than the downloadable JPEGs. DLA will fill orders upon receiving a completed Digital Image Permission and Order Form and a check payment for an order. Send completed forms to: Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Tech, P.O. Box 90001, Blacksburg, VA 24061-9001.
Our requirements concerning image orders:
- Only completed orders will be filled.
- Payment must accompany orders (make checks out to: VT Treasurer).
- Files will be burned to CD, no files transfered electronically. (No FTP.)
- Images owned by Norfolk and Southern Railroad require permission. Contact Jennifer Davis McDaid, Historical Archivist, NS Corp at (email@example.com) for permission to use these images. Be sure to include how you intend to use their images with your request.
- Images owned by Virginia Tech Atheltics also require permission. Contact Anne Panella (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to include how you intend use these images with your request.
- When you receive permission from Norfolk Southern or Virginia Tech Athletics images, please send a copy of the permission for our files.
By using these resources and materials, you agree to follow these conditions of use:
- These resources and materials may not be used for any commercial purpose without prior written permission from the Digital Library and Archives or the copyright holder.
- These resources and materials may not be re-published in any form of media without prior written permission from the Digital Library and Archives or the copyright holder.
- You may not download these resources and materials to put them on another server for public use, or for use by a set of subscribers. Institutions may link to the resources of the Digital Library and Archives, subject to these conditions of use.
- Any permission given to reproduce these resources and materials is non-exclusive.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted material. Libraries and archives are authorized to furnish reproductions upon request for specified purposes, including private study, scholarship, and research; publication; and public exhibition. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept an order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of that order if it would violate copyright law. Copyright from VT's University Libraries
Permission to use resources for publication or public exhibition must be obtained in writing from the Digital Library and Archives and the copyright holder. In a written application (Digital Image Permission and Order Form) please indicate which items you are seeking to publish or exhibit and where you wish to publish or exhibit them. DLA would appreciate receiving copies of any publications using items from the collections. Use of our resources must be only for the purpose stated. If you later wish to make a different or additional use of our resources (particularly if you will be publishing or exhibiting them), you will need make another application for permission.
[Title of collection, (control number)], Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Tech [URL, if applicable].
Citation for digital image use:
VT ImageBase (http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/), housed and operated by Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries; scanning by Digital Imaging, Learning Technologies, Virginia Tech.
Journal of Technology Education, Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Tech (http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JTE/)
Palmer, Earl. "Woman Preparing Grit Bread." (undated) VT ImageBase, Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Tech. http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/palmer/full/ep504.jpeg
International Archive of Women in Architecture: Lilia Skala Collection, Ms2002-100, [Watercolor of dining area, undated] VT ImageBase, Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Tech. (http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/view_record.php?URN=IAWASK0057).