Foundation Awards Research Grants
The Research Foundation of the American Rhododendron Society has funded five research projects recommended by the ARS Research Committee. These projects were selected from those proposals submitted to the committee that were considered most relevant to the purposes of the society. The projects selected are:
1. "Growth Stimulation of Deciduous Azalea Cuttings with Chemical Growth Regulators Following Rooting," Dr. Thomas J. Banko, Hampton Roads Agricultural Expt. Sta., Virginia Beach, VA for $700.
2. "A Database of Rhododendron and Azalea Research with Related Scholarly Data, Volume Two," Dr. Homer E. Salley, Grand Rapids, OH for $2,000 ($1,000 provided by the Great Lakes Chapter).
3. "Minimum Calcium Requirement for Container-grown Rhododendron ," Dr. James A. Robbins, Briggs Nursery, Olympia, WA for $3,000.
4. "Evaluation of Anagrus sp. Egg Parasitoids as Biological Control Agents for the Azalea Lace Bug," Dr. S. Kristine Braman, Karl E. Espelie, and Julie A. Wise, University of Georgia, Griffin, GA for $1,500.
5. "DNA Fingerprinting of Rhododendron , Phase 2," Drs. A. Lane Rayburn and Donald W. Paden, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL for $3,000.
Members of the ARS Research Committee are: Warren Berg, Bruce Briggs, A. Richard Brooks, Russell Gilkey, August E. Kehr, Sandra McDonald, Gustav Mehlquist, Donald W. Paden, George Ring, June Sinclair, Robert Ticknor, Ted Van Veen and Mark P. Widrlechner (chair).