Conditions of Use
Resources and materials available through the Digital Library and Archives are available for use in research, teaching, and private study. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print or download) materials without prior permission, on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies. These resources and materials are not in the public domain and copyright is largely held by the Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Digital Libraries and Archives will fill image requests from our patrons who prefer tiff files over jpegs. DLA will fill orders with a completed Digital Image Request Form and a check payment for an order. Send completed forms to:
Digital Library and Archives, Newman Library, 1 Kent St. Blacksburg VA 24061-0434.
Our requirements concerning image orders:
- Only completed orders will be filled
- Payment must accompany orders (make checks out to: VT Treasurer)
- Files will be burned to CD, no files transfered electronically (No FTP.)
- Images owned by Norfolk and Southern Railroad require permission. Contact Jennifer McDaid (email@example.com) for permission to use images. Be sure to include how you intend to use their images with your request.
- Images owned by Virginia Tech Atheltics require permission. Contact Anne Panella (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to include how you intend use Athletics images with your request.
- If you receive permission for Norfolk souther or Virginia Tech Athletics images, please send a copy of the permission for our files.
By using these resources and materials, you agree to follow these conditions of use:
- These resources and materials may not be used for any commercial purpose without prior written permission from the Digital Library and Archives or the copyright holder.
- These resources and materials may not be re-published in print or electronic form without prior written permission from the Digital Library and Archives or the copyright holder.
- You may not download these resources and materials in order to mount them on another server for public use, or for use by a set of subscribers. Institutions may link to the resources and materials of the Digital Library and Archives, subject to these conditions of use.
- Any permission given to reproduce these resources and materials is non-exclusive.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted material. Libraries and archives are authorized to furnish reproductions upon request for specified purposes, including private study, scholarship, and research; publication; and public exhibition. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept an order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of that order would involve violation of copyright law. Copyright from VT's University Libraries
Permission to use department materials for publication or public exhibition must be obtained in writing from the Digital Library and Archives and the copyright holder. In a written application, Digital Image Permission and Order Form, please indicate which items you are seeking to publish or exhibit and where you wish to publish or exhibit them. DLA would appreciate receiving copies of any publications using items from the collections. Use of any archival copies must be only for the purpose stated. If you later wish to make a different or additional use of department material (particularly if you will be publishing or exhibiting them), you will need to contact DLA again for permission.
[Title of collection, (control number)], Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University [URL, if applicable].
Citation for use (digital images):
VT ImageBase (http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/), housed and operated by Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries; scanning by Digital Imaging, Learning Technologies, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Journal of Technology Education, Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JTE/)
Palmer, Earl. "Woman Preparing Grit Bread." (undated) VT ImageBase, Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/palmer/full/ep504.jpeg
International Archive of Women in Architecture: Lilia Skala Collection. [untitled, undated watercolor] VT ImageBase (scanning by Digital Imaging, Learning Technologies), Digital Library and Archives, University Libraries, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. (http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/view_record.php?URN=IAWASK0057).