At the suggestion of ALAN Past-President Betty Carter, I polled the reviewers with whom I worked while I was Book Connection Editor for The ALAN Review . I asked each reviewer to consider all the books he or she had reviewed during my ten-issue tenure (from Spring 1990-Spring 1993) and send me his or her favorite titles. Of the 320 books they reviewed for The ALAN Review , they submitted the following 36 titles. I have listed them in alphabetical order by reviewer and included the issue in which the review was printed. My thanks to all the reviewers who responded to my letter. As always, it was a pleasure to work with them.
ALAN Reviewers' FavoritesElizabeth Poe
Richard Abrahamson (Winter 1992)
* Cormier, Robert. I Have Words To Spend: Reflections of a Small-Town Editor . Edited by Constance Senay Cormier. Delacorte, 1991.
Hugh Agee (Fall 1992)
* Ho, Minfong. The Clay Marble . Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1991.
Mike Angelotti (Spring 1993)
* Livingston, Myra Cohn. A Time To Talk . McElderry Books, 1992.
Bruce Appleby (Winter 1991)
* Homes, A. M. Jack . Macmillan, 1989.
Judy Beckman (Winter 1993)
* Westall, Robert. Yaxley's Cat . Scholastic, 1991.
Wendy Bell (Winter 1992)
* Fritz, Jean. Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt! G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1991.
James Brewbaker (Winter 1993)
* Levine, Ellen. Freedom's Children: Young Civil Rights Activists Tell Their Own Stories . G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1992.
Carter, Betty (Fall 1991)
* White, Ryan, and Ann Marie Cunningham. Ryan White: My Own Story . Dial, 1991.
Ruth Cline (Spring 1993)
* Hobbs, Will. The Big Wander . Atheneum, 1992.
Chris Crowe (Spring 1992)
* Salisbury, Graham. Blue Skin of the Sea . Delacorte, 1992.
Hazel K. Davis (Fall 1992)
* Jones, Diana Wynne. Aunt Maria . Greenwillow, 1991.
James E. Davis (Fall 1991)
* MacKinnon, Bernie. Song for a Shadow . Houghton Mifflin, 1991.
Charles Duke (Spring 1990)
* Levy, Marilyn. Putting Heather Together Again . Fawcett Juniper, 1989.
Edna Earl Edwards (Spring 1992)
* Voigt, Cynthia. David and Jonathan . Scholastic, 1992.
Bonnie Ericson (Fall 1990)
* LeGuin, Ursula. Tehanu: The Last Book of Earthsea . Atheneum, 1990.
Don Gallo (Spring 1992)
* Cormier, Robert. We All Fall Down . Delacorte, 1991.
Christy Hammer (Spring 1992)
* Paulsen, Gary. Haymeadow . Illustrated by Ruth Wright Paulsen. Delacorte, 1992.
Ted Hipple (Winter 1993)
* Cormier, Robert. Tunes for Bears To Dance To . Delacorte, 1992.
Susanne Johnston (Winter 1993)
* Taylor, Theodore. The Weirdo . Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1991.
Marjorie M. Kaiser (Winter 1992)
* Shura, Mary Francis. Gentle Annie: The True Story of a Civil War Nurse . Scholastic, 1991.
Jeff Kaplan (Spring 1991)
* Hoobler, Dorothy and Thomas. Vietnam: Why We Fought, An Illustrated History . Knopf, 1990.
Nicholas J. Karolides (Winter 1991)
* Mazer, Norma Fox. Babyface . Morrow, 1990.
Judith W. Keck (Spring 1992)
* Myers, Walter Dean. Now Is Your Time! The African-American Struggle for Freedom . HarperCollins, 1991.
Patricia P. Kelly (Spring 1990)
* Cole, Brock. Celine . Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1989.
Teri Lesesne (Fall 1990)
* Rappaport, Doreen. American Women: Their Lives in Their Words . Thomas Y. Crowell, 1990.
Alan McLeod (Winter 1991)
* Jones, Adrienne. Long Time Passing . Harper and Row, 1990.
Diana Mitchell (Spring 1991)
* Paulsen, Gary. Woodsong . Scholastic, 1990.
Virginia Monseau (Winter 1992)
* Paulsen, Gary. The Monument . Delacorte, 1991.
Joan Nist (Winter 1993)
* Savage, Deborah. A Stranger Calls Me Home . Houghton Mifflin, 1992.
Elizabeth Poe (Spring 1993)
* Gary Paulsen. Nightjohn . Illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. Delacorte, 1993.
Barbara G. Samuels (Spring 1990)
* Fritz, Jean. The Great Little Madison . G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1989.
Gary D. Schmidt (Spring 1992)
* Yep, Laurence. The Star Fisher . Morrow Junior Books, 1991.
Ann Sherrill (Fall 1990)
* Pendergraft, Patricia. The Legend of Daisy Flowerdew . Philomel, 1990.
Judy Stoffel (Spring 1990)
* Peyton, K. M. Darkling . Delacorte, 1990.
C. Anne Webb (Fall 1990)
* Schwartz, J. L., A. MacFarlane, and A. McPherson. Will the Nurse Make Me Take My Underwear Off? Dell, 1990.
Nancy E. Zuwiyya (Fall 1992)
* Laird, Elizabeth. Kiss the Dust . Dutton, 1991.