A PACIFIC RIM SEMINAR SPONSORED BY THE CLASSICS DEPARTMENT, CORNELL UNIVERSITY IN HONOR OF JOHN PATRICK SULLIVAN
August 13-16, 1993
Hollis E. Cornell Auditorium, Cornell University
Session 1: Friday 13 August, 9.00 a.m. Frederick Ahl (Cornell) presiding
1. A. J. Boyle (USC): 'Martialis Redivivus: J. P. Sullivan'
2. Roger Pitcher (University of New England, Australia): 'Martial's Imperial Mythmaking.'
3. Richard Prior (SUNY Buffalo): 'Going around Hungry: Topography and Social History in Martial 2.14.'
Session 2: Friday 13 August, 2.30 p.m. Yossi Roisman (Colby College) presiding
1. Dick Frank (Univ. of California, Irvine) 'Domitian's Palace and Military Architecture'
2. Don McGuire: (SUNY Buffalo): 'Representations of Domitian'
3. Martin Bloomer (Stanford): 'Tacitus, Tiberius, and Domitian'
Reception: Friday 13 August, 5.00 p.m. Goldwin Smith Hall 119
Session 3: Saturday 14 August, 9.30 a.m. Gregson Davis (Cornell) presiding
1. Martin Winkler (George Mason University): 'Juvenal's Domitian'
2. Robin Bond (Univ. of Canterbury, N.Z.): 'Betrayal in the Satires of Juvenal'
3. Peter Davis (University of Tasmania, Australia) 'Tyranny in Seneca's Thyestes and Statius' Thebaid'
7.00 p.m.: Convention Reception and Buffet Dinner: 5 Knoll Tree Road, Ithaca
Session 4: Sunday 15 August, 10.00 a.m. Martin Winkler (George Mason) presiding
1. S. Georgia Nugent (Princeton) 'Male-Female Conflict in the Thebaid'
2. Marcus Wilson (Univ. of Auckland): 'Medea in Flavian Literature'
3. Bill Dominik (Univ. of Natal, South Africa): 'Sex, Violence, Death, and the Supernatural: The Significance of the Lemnian Episode in Flavian Epic'
Session 5: Sunday 15 August, 2.30 p.m.
1. Martha Malamud (SUNY Buffalo) 'Happy Birthday, Dead Lucan: (P)raising a rival in Silvae 2.7'
2. Sander Goldberg (UCLA) 'Scrutinizing Silius'
Reception: 5.00 p.m. Goldwin Smith Hall 119
Session 6: Monday 16 August, 9.00 a.m. A.J. Boyle (USC) presiding
1. Martha Davis (Temple University) 'Breaking the Limit: The Effects of Empire on Literary Boundaries'
2. Patrick Sinclair (University of California, Irvine) 'Quintilian and Safe Criticism: Language and Power under the Principate'
Session 7: Monday 16 August, 11.00 a.m. Round Table
Discussion (Frederick Ahl, William Wehrle, A. J. Boyle)
Registration: A fee of $US 60.00 (students $25.00) covers materials, conference reception and a conference buffet dinner. Send check (payable to Classics Department, Cornell University) to F. M. Ahl, Department of Classics, 120 Goldwin Smith Hall, Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A. (607-255 8324; FAX 607-255 1454)
COPYRIGHT NOTE: Copyright remains with authors, but due reference should be made to this journal if any part of the above is later published elsewhere.Electronic Antiquity Vol. 1 Issue 2 - July 1993 edited by Peter Toohey and Ian Worthington firstname.lastname@example.org ISSN 1320-3606